WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
Walter Hamilton Alexander Hill and E. A. McCallum formed McCallum Hill & Company on February 3, 1903. The enterprise initially engaged in both the real estate and insurance business, aggressively acquiring land from the city to develop residential and commercial properties. The land acquisition of the Robert Sinton farm was McCallum Hill & Company's first real estate deal. Located in south Regina, the land was purchased by the provincial government and is now home to the Provincial Legislative Building. At the time, the property owner was having difficulty determining if he wanted to sell his land and Walter decided to offer a $20,000 cash down payment to help speed up the process. With the only legal tender at the time being the Dominion of Canada one dollar bill, Walter kept a briefcase of $20,000 one-dollar notes on hand on the chance that the owner would choose to accept. Sinton eventually accepted the offer and Walter offered him the deposit before he could change his mind.